Saturday, September 1, 2007

Grandma Shelledy's Lefse

My two grandmothers were two of the most diverse women that anyone could ever imagine - Grandma (always called 'Moremommie' for some unGodly reason) Fry was as high-falootin' and snobbish as you could imagine in our small town of Yakima, Washington. Ever the lady, short but seemingly tall and stately, she looked down her regal nose at just about everyone in that town. BUT, oh my, she was the most most loving, wonderful Grandmother any child, especially a girl could dream of having. She and her four sisters doted on my sister and me all of their lives.

Grandma 'Mom' Shelledy was the complete opposite in temperment and stature. She was short and plump with pure white hair always pulled back in a bun, held tight with little brown combs. As a young woman, she cooked for the ranch hands on the Columbia River, was a post mistress in her small town, was almost the sole parent of her seven children while my Grandfather was off being a sherriff and probably carousing the countryside. In her later years, she still cooked on her wood stove and the most wonderful foods came out of her kitchen. Lefse is probably my favorite of all she ever made.

It's a Norwegian bread, looks just like a tortilla except for the shape, my Grandma's were usually like triangles of dough she cooked on the wood stove. She made lefse for the family for all my life and probably years before that! I don't know how she kept up with us when the whole family was around her huge round kitchen table, soft butter and the sugar dish in front of us just waiting as the lefse came off her old wood stove. I know we must have eaten faster than she could cook them.

This recipe is how she dictated her it to my sister, Joan and me, many years ago. I made these again the other day (while I was cooking potatoes for Tourtiere Tarts, I thot why not go for it) - I also wanted to 'test' the way the recipe was written. I disovered the most amazing thing - all my life I thot Grandma cooked lefse in triangles, but now I realize what she did - there were always so many of us panting for more lefse that after she cooked these circles of dough, she would portion them out in pie shapes, therefore feeding 4 or 6 of us with one lefse!!!!! It only took me 67 years to figure that one out! she'd be so proud!

Mom Shelledy's Lefse
5 large white potatoes (the old & mushy type)
2 cups sweet cream -- half & half, or milk & water (but cream is the best!)
1 tsp. salt
3 T. butterFlour for rolling the lefse out (I made 1/2 this recipe and needed ~ 1 3/4 cups flour kneaded into the dough to make it workable)

1. Boil potatoes and mash until very fine.
2. Add cream, salt, and butter; beat until light.
3. Let cool (fairly)
4. Add flour until workable.
5. Roll out and bake on top of griddle (or wood burning stove)

More traditional instructions -Follow above through #4 - the dough will be fairly dry, but stay together to be rolled out.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.Roll the dough out into ropes and cut into 2" chunks.










Roll chunks into thin circles (or long ovals, or whatever) like tortillas.Heat a griddle to about 400 F.

Place a circle of lefse on the dry griddle and cook until brown spots appear on the heated surface. Flip and cook the same way on the other side.



Lay cooked lefse on cooling rack as you cook the rest.
To serve: Some folks like just butter, my family always smeared the softened butter over and topped with a sprinkling of granulated sugar.
Fold twice or roll into a cylinder. Eat and enjoy!!
Oh my, it's amazing the memories that come while making these - I'll have to post a picture of my Grandma, she is just the epitome of what a Grandma should always be.
And Grandma Fry, of the exquisite Chocolate Set and her sets of Fostoria and Limoges Haviland and all good things in life, was also the epitome of what a Grandma should be!!!

No comments: