Monday, December 11, 2006

Pictures of Recent Dishes




Well since I can't figure out how to add pictures to an original post, I shall try it here...


This first one is of the Duck salad made the second time withing three days using the leftover Duck Breasts from the Grilled Duck with Risotto dish. It's kind of a clean the frig salad topped with beautiful duck slices.
O.K., edit time - the first picture is of the Soft Shell Tacos that Alix from DiscussCooking forum posted. What a great idea this is and it must be better for us than regular tortillas - especially since I adore flour over corn...

Soft Taco Shells
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1 cup flour (may need up to 1-1/4 cups)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 pinch salt
Whisk egg in the milk, add the flour and stir til well blended. Add in the cornmeal and stir til evenly distributed. This should be quite runny, don't be afraid to add more milk as needed.

Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup batter in very hot, oiled frying pan and rotate pan to coat the bottom with the batter. When the top starts to look dry all over its time to flip. Repeat until you've used all the batter.
This amount usually feeds 4 family members or 2 ravenous adults.
Alix, Discuss Cooking posted on 11/28/06
It makes 12 six inch shells.
Its like a thick crepe, so when you are making them keep that particular texture in mind. I make mine in my 6 inch frying pan as I don't have a crepe pan. I have tried them in my 10 inch frying pan and they work well there too. We just prefer them smaller as they can be a touch messy. LOL.
--------
TACOS WITH SOFT TACO SHELLS
Made tacos (old family style - lettuce, tomato, olives, cheese & onions) using your soft taco shell recipe. What a treat they were - there were three left after stuffing ourselves and my husband ate those also sprinkled with just a little salt.

I'll just add what I did with the chicken for filliing - it turned out quite nice also -
I tossed together 2 chicken breasts, raw and cut up bite-size with:
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. grd. cumin
1/8 tsp. each - garlic powder and cayenne

Brown the chicken in just a tad of oil; remove from skillet and keep warm.

To the pan, add one (14 1/2oz.) can of diced tomatoes, 1 jalapeno minced up (seeds and membrane included), 1 T. golden Tequila and cook that down a little, about 15 min.

Add the chicken back to the pan along with a cornstarch/water slurry to thicken it up a bit for the taco shells.

------
Will make these little goodies often!!


5 comments:

Roxanne said...

Nice recipes, Jean. The shells are simple enough and the ingredients are readily available for me.

I love salads--ANY TYPE OF SALAD!!!

Nice pics--you should post these recipes on the forum---not everyone comes here and I'm sure many would appreciate---if you have tghe time, that is.

My word, woman---HOW DO YOU DO IT???? I'm tired just reading about your activities---GEEZZZ!!!!

Maryann said...

Thanks, Jean, these look great!

Unknown said...

Great pics, Jean! I 'll have to try making the soft tacos!!

Unknown said...

Hi ya
I have spent ages searching for a Soft Taco shell recipe and this is the first I have found that actually resembles what I have been searching for. Seemingly most recipes for Taco's only give the filling and not the actual making of the taco batter.
I shall be trying your recipe soon.
Thanks
Chris in Africa

Unknown said...

I made the Taco shells, filled them with cream cheese & smoked salmon and filled some with a garlic cream chicken & salad and they were a win.
Thanks again
Christine